Author Topic: I should finally introduce myself  (Read 46772 times)

Adam Black

• Fan-Boy
    • View Profile
    • Email
I should finally introduce myself
« on: September 20, 2008, 10:18:31 AM »
Hello, all--

I've been lurking here for awhile.  I have some things to say, but can't say them yet, as I'm still under contract.  So, this introduction post is going to be a little cryptic, as I'm trying to foil Google's web spiders as much as I possibly can.

Currently, I'm an independent contractor for the company talked about in this post.  I'd like to use these forums in the near future to talk about some things I've learned, hopefully to help others who are just getting started or just getting re-started (which is the case with me).  I'd like to offer a point of view which will assist other artists, writers and comic creators in making decisions about working with (or, should I say, for) entertainment companies.  There are some things to keep in mind, and a metric shit-ton of pitfalls to be wary of, and I'd like to point out as many of those as I can.  Because I sure wish someone had pointed them out for me before I got caught up in all this.

So, I'm going to lurk a little longer.  I can't say much right now (the contract thing, remember), but I can say this:  I won't have to keep quiet for much longer.

Thanks to Mr Nickerson for approving my registration here.  This is the most informative forum on this subject that I've ever found on the internet--every other forum I've stumbled across has turned out to be, in the end, pretty useless.

It's also very sobering to be here.  I feel like a little fish in a big pond.  Lots of big-name talent here!  Well, at least by my standards.  I can't think of anyone here whose work I haven't enjoyed and respected for quite some time now.

Thanks again for reading.  I should be back soon to say a few things.

A request to everyone here:

It's not hard to figure out who I am and what I'm working on--despite the fact that I'm really not that famous.  I'd like to ask that, if you reply below, please don't put any links to what I'm working on, or anything that can be gobbled up by Google as a keyword.  I'm trying to keep this post in stealth mode as long as I can.  Later, when it's all over, I'll link the hell out of everything to make it easier for people to find all this.

But, for now, I'd like to ask that we keep this as quiet as possible.

Al Nickerson

• Administrator
  • Avenger
    • View Profile
    • http://anactoffaithcomic.com/
    • Email
Re: I should finally introduce myself
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 06:37:38 PM »
Hi, Adam!

Thanks for the kind comments concerning the forum. We should also thank (fellow Administrator) Chuck Morrison for all of his hard work, as well, because without Chuck, there wouldn’t be a Creator’s Rights forum. Thanks, Chuck! :)

I certainly wouldn’t want any creator to lose work in response to speaking out on the topic of Creator’s Rights. But, that’s a sorry sign for the comics industry, isn’t it?

And we didn’t start the forum to poke the eye of any particular company or publisher. We just wanted to create a place where we can discuss Creator’s Rights and bring about fair change to comics.

Adam Black

• Fan-Boy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 08:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!

I'm not planning on ranting or pointing fingers or laying blame or anything.  I'd just like to relay some experiences I've had in the past two years or so--things that took me by surprise.  Hopefully, it'll help others who choose to make similar choices with their careers.

Al Nickerson

• Administrator
  • Avenger
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 10:03:04 AM »
I'm not planning on ranting or pointing fingers or laying blame or anything.  I'd just like to relay some experiences I've had in the past two years or so--things that took me by surprise.  Hopefully, it'll help others who choose to make similar choices with their careers.

Oh, sure! I look forward to reading what you have to share.

By the way, I wasn't referring to you with my "poke the eye of any particular company or publisher" comment. When a person, group, or company behaves poorly, then we should all be vocal. I have been quite outspoken concerning the recent dealings of the publisher that you currently work for…. many people have, as well… which I believe (and I can’t prove this, of course) has had some affect on said publisher.

Many publishers and editors do not like it when creators talk to one another. This lack of communication enables these particular publishers and editors to get away with some of the crappy things that they get away with. However, once the genie is out of the bottle, once there’s a public outcry against poor business practices by these particular publishers and editors, they tend to change their ways.

Adam Black

• Fan-Boy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 03:02:36 PM »
By the way, I wasn't referring to you with my "poke the eye of any particular company or publisher" comment.

I figured as much, but thought I'd clarify nonetheless.  I'm not necessarily looking to burn any bridges here, because I honestly wasn't treated badly--in a malicious fashion.  I was, however, oftentimes painfully aware of my low position on the totem pole, which is something I'm hoping to help others understand before signing the same kind of contract I signed.

I don't really harbor any ill will towards these people, but there were some instances of...negligence (for lack of a better word) which caught me by surprise.

I have been quite outspoken concerning the recent dealings of the publisher that you currently work for…. many people have, as well… which I believe (and I can’t prove this, of course) has had some affect on said publisher.

It's definitely had an effect on them.  At the risk of being cryptic again, I got an email not too long ago suggesting that I was leaking information to a certain UK-based comics blogger.  This British gentleman had received word that creators weren't getting paid and asked for an official statement, and they came to me, wanting to know why I'd contacted this blogger and told him these things.

Turns out the blogger in question was referring to an entirely different set of creators (who had comics on a website that this company recently bought) and one of those guys had contacted him, not me.  Nonetheless, I was under some scrutiny for awhile.  It was a little strange.

Many publishers and editors do not like it when creators talk to one another. This lack of communication enables these particular publishers and editors to get away with some of the crappy things that they get away with. However, once the genie is out of the bottle, once there’s a public outcry against poor business practices by these particular publishers and editors, they tend to change their ways.

That's the main reason I'm going to come out about these things soon--I'm hoping this method of conducting business becomes a thing of the past.

These companies are dying.  There's no need for a comics publisher anymore, really.  They're just middlemen who offered a service a modern creator can find online--self-publishing, self-promotion, blah blah blah.  And I think people are starting to realize that.  Those few who are still knocking on these doors are hoping to get lucky, make it big, get a movie made out of their comic...all that jazz.  That's going to be my target audience.  I need to show these kids that you'd have better luck buying a lottery ticket.

And, with all that blah blah blah out of the way, I have to admit:  I'm still about a month away from sharing my experiences.  I may have jumped the gun a bit by posting here so soon.   ;D

Souba

• Mutie
    • View Profile
    • Velvet Nightmare Studios
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 06:21:31 PM »
Hi Adam,
Your secret is safe with me, because I'm so new to comics I probably wouldn't figure it out until way after the fact. ;)

It's good to have you here, and I'd appreciate any tips you have to share on creating comics, and approaching contracts. Although, I'd like to keep sole custody of my character for as long as I can. ;)
God Bless,
Souba

Al Nickerson

• Administrator
  • Avenger
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 07:20:54 AM »
I’m sure that you were joking, Souba, but I do want to make my point clear: Hold onto your creations! There’s no reason why any creator should be selling their characters to any other company. A creator does not have to give away what they own to see that their comics are published. We have options in creator-friendly publishers, self-publishing, print-on-demand, and webcomics.

Just look what happened here.

Adam Black

• Fan-Boy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 09:26:36 AM »
We have options in creator-friendly publishers, self-publishing, print-on-demand, and webcomics.

We should, at some point, pool together our experiences and make a big master list of places offering these services.  I think that would be very helpful for those trying to get started.

Souba

• Mutie
    • View Profile
    • Velvet Nightmare Studios
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 07:39:50 PM »
Yesh I was Al. :P  I was actually offered a contract nearly three years ago when I began on the second version of my present version comic. In the end I prayed about it and then we mutually decided against it. After that I just decided to self-publish it myself. Not the easiest route for sure but I feel pleased to have been able to stay true to my idea without compromising to an exec. ;)

Anymoo that's a good suggestion Adam you should post that information for people new to creating comics. Most people don't get that there is a problem with contracts I mean more money and equipment right? But at a high cost in the end...
Souba